SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
VOLUME 16 , ISSUE 4 ( October, 2012 ) > List of Articles
Nandita Joshi, Chhavi Sarabpreert Sharma, Sai, Jai Prakash Sharma
Keywords : Barium, hypokalemia, poisoning
Citation Information : Joshi N, Sharma CS, S, Sharma JP. Acute barium intoxication following ingestion of soap water solution. Indian J Crit Care Med 2012; 16 (4):238-240.
License: CC BY-ND 3.0
Published Online: 01-10-2012
Copyright Statement: Copyright © 2012; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
We present a rare case in which a young girl ingested a solution of a hair-removing soap. The ingestion resulted in profound hypokalemia and severe acidosis leading to flaccid paralysis, respiratory arrest and ventricular arrhythmias. Ultimately the patient made complete recovery. The soapwas found to contain barium sulfide. The degree of paralysis and acidosis appeared to be directly related to serum potassium levels.
© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.