Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine

Register      Login



Volume / Issue

Online First

Related articles

VOLUME 18 , ISSUE 1 ( January, 2014 ) > List of Articles


Aluminum phosphide (celphos) poisoning in children: A 5-year experience in a tertiary care hospital from northern India

Anupama Sharma, Dishant, Jaya Shankar Kaushik

Keywords : Magnesium sulfate, mortality, pediatric intensive care

Citation Information : Sharma A, D, Kaushik JS. Aluminum phosphide (celphos) poisoning in children: A 5-year experience in a tertiary care hospital from northern India. Indian J Crit Care Med 2014; 18 (1):33-36.

DOI: 10.4103/0972-5229.125434

License: CC BY-ND 3.0

Published Online: 01-10-2014

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2014; The Author(s).


Background: Aluminum phosphide (ALP) (celphos) is an agricultural pesticide commonly implicated in poisoning. Literature pertaining to the clinical manifestations and treatment outcome of its poisoning among children is limited. Materials and Methods: A retrospective chart review was conducted of the medical records of 30 children aged less than 14 years admitted to pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) of a tertiary care hospital in northern India. Demographic, clinical, and laboratory parameters were recorded. The outcome was categorized into "survivors" and "nonsurvivors." Results: The Mean (SD) age of the enrolled children [19 males (63.3%)] was 8.55 (3.07) years. Among the 30 children, 14 (46.67%) were nonsurvivors and the rest 16 (53.33%) were survivors. Nonsurvivors had ingested significantly higher doses of ALP (P < 0.001), and showed higher time lag to PICU transfer (P 0.031), presence of abnormal radiological findings on chest skiagram (P = 0.007), and a higher Pediatric Risk of Mortality (PRISM) III score (P < 0.001) at admission. Use of magnesium sulfate was associated significantly with survival [odds ratio (OR) (95% CI): 0.11 (0.02-0.66); P 0.016]. Conclusion: The present study highlights that survival among children with ALP poisoning is predicted by dose of ALP ingestion, time lag to medical attention, and higher PRISM score at admission. Use of magnesium sulfate could be associated with better survival among them.

PDF Share
  1. Mehrpour O, Jafarzadeh M, Abdollahi M. A systematic review of aluminium phosphide poisoning. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol 2012;63:61-73.
  2. Hosseinian A, Pakravan N, Rafiei A, Feyzbakhsh SM. Aluminum phosphide poisoning known as rice tablet: A common toxicity in North Iran. Indian J Med Sci 2011;65:143-50.
  3. Singh S, Singhi S, Sood NK, Kumar L, Walia BN. Changing pattern of childhood poisoning (1970-1989): Experience of a large north Indian hospital. Indian Pediatr 1995;32:331-6.
  4. Gupta SK, Peshin SS, Srivastava A, Kaleekal T. A study of childhood poisoning at National Poisons Information Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. J Occup Health 2003;45:191-6.
  5. Singh D, Tyagi S, Bansal YS, Mandal SP, Thind AS. ALP fatalities: A 24 years experience. J Indian Acad Forensic Med 2007;29:12-6.
  6. Distressed over girl′s kidnapping and rape, poor family consumes poison. Available from: [Last accessed on 2013 Jun 26].
  7. Kapoor AK, Sinha US, Singh AK, Mehrotra R. An epidemiological study of ALP poisoning at Allahabad. Available from: iijfmt and volume=5 and issue=2 and article=002. [Last accessed on 2013 Jul 06].
  8. Anger F, Paysant F, Brousse F, Normand IL, Develay P, Gaillard Y, et al. Fatal aluminium phosphide poisoning. J Anal Toxicol 2000;24:90-2.
  9. Chopra JS, Kalra OP, Malik VS, Sharma R, Chandna A. ALP poisoning: A prospective study of 16 cases in one year. Postgrad Med J 1986;62:1113-5.
  10. Louriz M, Dendane T, Abidi K, Madani N, Abouqal R, Zeggwagh AA. Prognostic factors of acute ALP poisoning. Indian J Med Sci 2009;63:227-34.
  11. Chugh SN, Jaggal KL, Sharma A, Arora B, Malhotra KC. Magnesium levels in acute cardiotoxicity due to ALP poisoning. Indian J Med Res 1991;94:437-9.
  12. Chugh SN, Kolley T, Kakkar R, Chugh K, Sharma A. A critical evaluation of anti-peroxidant effect of intravenous magnesium in acute ALP poisoning. Magnes Res 1997;10:225-30.
  13. Siwach SB, Singh P, Ahlawat S, Dua A, Sharma D. Serum and tissue magnesium content in patients of aluminium phosphide poisoning and critical evaluation of high dose magnesium sulphate therapy in reducing mortality. J Assoc Physicians India 1994;42:107-10.
  14. Chugh SN, Kumar P, Aggarwal HK, Sharma A, Mahajan SK, Malhotra KC. Efficacy of magnesium sulphate in aluminium phosphide poisoning-comparison of two different dose schedules. J Assoc Physicians India 1994;42:373-5.
  15. Siwach SB, Dua A, Sharma R, Sharma D, Mehla RK. Tissue magnesium content and histopathological changes in non-survivors of aluminiumphosphide poisoning. J Assoc Physicians India 1995;43:676-8.
PDF Share
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.